Tuesday 8 April 2014

I'm supposed to be working today...

Hmmm... after three weeks of intensive scurrying to finalise grant applications, my brain died last week as I caught up on things like finding the floor underneath Pippi's (my pom) expended fluff, buying actual food (instead of takeaway) and then cooking up some lovely vegan meals.

This week, back to work.... come on brain!

I did go to a seminar last Wednesday that had me fired up for a few hours. It was elating and depressing at the same time. QAAFI (the organisation I work for at UQ) hosted a lecture by renowned archaeo-botanist, Professor Dorian Fuller. He talked about his work unravelling the human history of plant use, domestication and agricultural exploitation in India as well as more general theories on these issues on a world-scale. Since I've been trying to convince the director of QAAFI to let me study similar issues with Australian plants for some time now (since before he was director of QAAFI), I found the topic both enlightening and stimulating.

Then that voice kicks in and I start to wonder how I've ended up diverging so far away from my original path.

Oh well, that's what happens when you just let life tell you what to do I suppose.

If you're interested in archaeo-botany at all, here's a link to Prof. Fuller's University College London page:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/archaeology/people/staff/fuller

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment